Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tires and Summer Time

WOW, I guess I have been lucky all these years hauling to and from the various lakes I have fished and have never blown a tire.  I have a routine of making sure all is well before I leave the drive-way.  Friday I was all loaded up, hooked up and ready to go....headed for Roosevelt.   I took my walk around to make sure I was good to go and hummm.  that looks funny.  Upon a closer look I had a front tire on my tandem that looked like a cord had let loose under the tread surface.  I jacked it up and soun the tire and it looked like a pringle going around.  When I took it off where I couldn't see when it was mounted was a 12" spot where the tread had seperated and all I could see was cord.  WOW.  Must have happened the week before coming home from Roosevelt. 
Of course my local dealer did not have one in stock and I didn't get it fixed until Late Saturday afternoon.
Its that time of year.  Always, always check your tire air pressure before each trip and look at your tires.  Specially on tandem trailers.  If you have a flat on one side you can bet that the other tire will be stressed from carrying the load and can potentially fail soon after in this heat.
I dodged this bullet...could have been a real mess and a lot more costly.

No comments:

Post a Comment